Thursday, June 23, 2011

Soccer

So Blake has been wanting to play soccer for well over a year. I missed the cut off for the fall/spring season just because I was a bad mama and forgot to sign him up in time. He cried :( so I made sure I put the summer registration on about 20 million calendars so I wouldn't forget again! Blake's team had their first game on Monday with no practice (Spence stepped up to be coach just this weekend after the league threatened to cancel our team because no one volunteered, thus the reason we hadn't even practiced).
So anyways, Blake hadn't ever played soccer before (he's kicked around a ball of course, but has never played played before). Needless to say, they lost pretty bad on Monday. It was like 15-1. I must say though that the other team looked like they all had been playing for at least 3 years and together. The boys felt so defeated and it was the first time Blake had experienced a loss (he has been undefeated with his bball team for 2 years). It was sad and I was hoping the whole season wasn't going to be like that. Here are some pics of his Monday night game.



Yesterday, they had their second game. Spence called me about an hour before the game and said he wasn't going to be able to make the game because of YM's and they really needed him there and begged me to coach because no other parent would. Let me tell you something, I've never played soccer and I really have no clue about the rules or anything, but I can cheer and I can point and I understand defense and offense. So after about a 5 minute lesson from Coach Spencer, I was off to Coach not only my first soccer game, but my first time coaching anything, EVER!!! I must say, I had fun. (Don't tell Spence, he may make me do it again :) ). The boys did so much better this game, and they were playing a way more equal team. Because I was on the field the whole time and running back and forth on the opponents sideline, I heard what the parents were saying, and they were saying some good things, especially about our little man. Blake had a couple fast breaks (well, that's what we call it in basketball, I donno what it's called in soccer) and was super fast, way ahead of the rest. The parents kept saying, "wow, that kid is fast. he has so much potential." Even some parents from our team came up to me afterwards inquiring about him. I told them he had never played and they were shocked. They also mentioned his quickness. Once Blake gets all the rules down and concepts, I think he is gonna be a soccer stud. I loved coaching the kids, mainly cheering for them at this age. They played hard and I was very proud of them. And we won!!

No comments: