Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rylee's visit to the ER


When I was originally wrote this, I kept having computer problems and kept getting kicked off, but this happened about 3.5 weeks ago....

I'm going to blog about the morning Ry had her seizure because I want it documented. It was Monday morning and Ry had recently woken up. She came into my bathroom and she was all dressed for school. I asked her if I could do her hair and so as I was brushing it out she said to me, "mom. My head hurts." ( Over the weekend she had complained about it a couple times but would lay down for a few minutes and be back to normal self). Then a couple seconds went by and she cried out "and my chest hurts." She was grabbing her heart and she then immediately fell over to the left and hit her head hard on the wall as she was falling down. she was convulsing and her eyes were rolled back into her head. She convulsed for about 15 seconds. (I keep saying convulsing and I will explain in a bit). I, of course, was screaming Spencer's name and carried her to her bed. She laid there for a while and looked a little bluish and quite pale.
OK now fast forward to the ER visit. (Which I was not very happy with). We walked in and miraculously there was no one in the ER. I told the nurse what happen, she was concerned. We checked her in. After she got bed the doctor came in. He asked what happened. I told him exactly what I wrote before. He then asked some medical questions, "does she have any heart disease, asthma?" I said no and then tried to explain that we have been concerned with her fatigue for a few months now, but he stopped me as I was saying it and said in a very rude voice "that's not what I am talking about. I am asking if she has any diseases." I then said "Not that we are aware of." He then looked and me (Like i was an idiot) and said, "well... you are her biological parents, aren't you?" I about had a heart attack. He was so rude. What I meant was that we are not aware of anything that would cause our daughter to faint, hit her head, and have a seizure. I mean, that's not normal behavior. SOmething HAD to be up. Even if the seizure was because of the hit (which I am well aware of), fainting is not normal for a six year old, not to mention she complained of her head hurting and she complained of chest pain immediately before. So they did a CAT scan and an EKG. Both came back normal, but when he came back and explained it he was saying stuff like "I don't want to classify this as a seizure because then she would have that on her record and this may or may not have been one." He said that because it only lasted for 15 seconds (apparently the average one lasts about a minute) and she did not wet herself or bite her tongue he can't say whether or not it was. Whatever dude. I saw it. I know it was a seizure she wasn't "just convulsing." Oh and you know what? Guess what kind of discharge papers he sent home with us? There was a whole page on seizures. OK doc, you say you don't want to classify it as a seizure, yet the paperwork you gave me was on seizures? Anyways, I really could go on and on because I was so annoyed with his unprofessional words, but I will refrain. I am more worried about our little girl who always looks so sickly and I just wanna know why she fainted to begin with. So that's what happened. After talking with numerous people, they all think it was a seizure also. One friend of mine has a boy who has seizures often and he never bites his tongue, nor wets himself, and they only last about 30 seconds. Everyone else wonders the same thing as we do "why on earth did she faint to begin with?" That's the question I want answered. What do you guys think?


1 comment:

The Gibby Family said...

Did you go to Holy Family? Every time I do they treat me like an idiot and misdiagnose my kids. Ryen went in for a fever and pain in his side. They did nothing, said he was fine. The next morning I took him to Sacred Heart & the first thing they did was a chest x-ray. He had pneumonia & had a seizure while we were there. Ella fell in the tub & hit her head hard & one eye was dilated. The doc didn't do anything but completely undress her even her diaper to check for signs of abuse. He told me it was normal for a child to throw up after a head injury & if only one eye dilated it meant they were dead. Umm...what? Look at her!! Sorry this is so long. What I'm saying is if you're worried get a second opinion. Mom's know best!!